Photography in primary schools offers many engaging learning opportunities. Some of the key aspects of learning photography include connecting through photography, leadership development through photography, visual literacy, creativity through perspectives and using photography as a tool for learning.
There are many advantages that the students can reap in their journey of learning photography. Photography is a new useful skill and learning it boosts the students’ self-esteem. It encourages develops visual literacy planning and presentation skills and allows students to display their potential through creativity. With creativity, it provides students with the opportunity to be innovative. Photography is like an ‘instant art’ and learning about photography can develop a child’s visual literacy, broaden their vocabulary and encourage creativity. The photographs itself can stimulate students to develop their own ideas on design. The students will be involved with experimenting with camera settings and this encourages them to ask questions and develop their problem solving skills.
Photography also encourages students to communicate their ideas, thoughts and feelings through the photographs that they have taken. In addition, photographs can also serve the purpose as a feedback to students in their learning.
Through Photography, we hope that the pupils will be able to realise our school’s vision of “Lives Empowered, Lives Touched and 7 school core values through the 21st CC.
- Use kind words and praises on photography put up for show cases. Help friends who are in need to learn photography. [Compassion]
- Following guides and rules and understand their limitations. [Discipline]
- Respecting people, environment and personal items (photography equipment). [Respect]
- Proud of CCA, school and country. Uphold school’s good name and contribute skills and knowledge to school and community. [Courage]
- Play role during group work. Provides encouragement and help peers. Work harmoniously with one another towards a common goal. [Team Spirit]
- Take on challenges and learn from experiences. Face up failures and mistakes. Perform task out of comfort area and choose what is right when faced in difficult situation. [Courage]
- Truthful and Admitting Mistakes during photography lessons. Choosing to do the right thing and responsible in own action whilst taking photographs. [Integrity]
- Cultivate and display effective interpersonal communication skills.
- Develops critical thinking skills (synthesize meaning of picture captured)
- As an Empowered Leader and Learner, we will empower them through Photography to take on leadership, individual and group roles and be more self-confident and motivated
In delivering the 21st CC through Photography, we have our school-wide approach to Photography conducted through mass customisation at three different tiers.
The first tier (Basic) is a school-wide approach where Photography modules are conducted in Visual Arts lessons for all levels. At the end of each year, our pupils will celebrate their cumulated experiences by showcasing their photographs in front of the classroom after every module.
The 2nd Tier (Elective) is a CCA-based approach in which it offers pupils to develop their photography talent in the Photography Club CCA. In managing talents, pupils will be nurtured according to their competencies-talent levels. Opportunities are then given to pupils to showcase their talents at different platforms. Plans are also in place for our talented pupils to be showcase photographs at public level. The students are also encouraged to contribute their photo at competition level. Up to date, the students have been awarded for their contribution to Inter-school competitions.
The 3rd Tier (Excellence) offers talented photography pupils beyond the school level. These pupils will be sent for Overseas Photography expedition whereby they will capture insights of Overseas Learning Journeys, capturing photographs based on thematic approach e.g. People, Culture, Landscape and Architectures. From their experiences, they will then share their knowledge and expertise to their photography peers and provide coaching and mentorship along their photography journey.